In honor of St. Patrick’s Day, I decided to go a little Irish and make some corned beef and cabbage. I never made it before, so was very anxious to see how it’d turn out and if I’d enjoy it. And WOW, did I!! Not only is this recipe super easy, but it is also truly delicious!
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into matchstick pieces
- 10 baby red potatoes, quartered
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 5 cups water
- 1 (4 lb.) corned beef brisket in spices or with spice packet
- 6 ounces beer (you can omit this if desired)
- 1/2 head cabbage, coarsely chopped
- Garlic & pepper to taste
- Place the carrots, potatoes, and onion into the bottom of a slow cooker, pour in the water, and place the brisket on top of the vegetables.
- Pour the beer over the brisket, if using.
- Sprinkle on the spices from the packet (if included) , garlic and pepper, cover, and set the cooker on low.
- Cook the brisket for 7 hours.
- Stir in the cabbage and cook for 1 more hour.
This is, by far, my favorite recipe for beef tenderloin (filet mignon) that I’ve been making for years. The marinade is extremely simple, yet so very tasty.
- 1/3 cup steak sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp minced garlic or 1 tbsp garlic powder (optional)
- 4 beef tenderloin steaks, about 1 inch thick
- 8 small new potatoes (1 lb), cut lengthwise in half
- 2 tbsp water
- Cooking spray
- 1 tsp chopped fresh or 1/4 tsp dried rosemary leaves, crumbled
- 1 tsp chopped fresh or 1/4 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- In shallow glass or plastic dish, mix steak sauce, brown sugar & garlic; reserve 2 tablespoons sauce.
- Add beef to remaining sauce (about 1/4 cup); turn to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate, turning beef 2 or 3 times, at least 1 hour but no longer than 24 hours.
- Heat gas or charcoal grill.
- In 2-quart microwavable casserole, place potatoes and water; cover.
- Microwave on high 3 to 5 minutes or until potatoes are just tender.
- Place potatoes on sheet of heavy-duty foil.
- Spray potatoes with cooking spray; sprinkle with rosemary, thyme and paprika. Wrap securely in foil.
- When grill is heated, place beef and packet of potatoes on gas grill over medium heat or on charcoal grill over medium coals; cover grill.
- Cook 7 minutes. Turn beef and potatoes; brush reserved sauce over beef. Cover and grill about 6 to 8 minutes longer for medium beef doneness; remove from heat.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over potatoes.