I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season, and Happy 2015!! As I’ve mentioned in some previous posts, I receive a ton of recipes emailed to me on a regular basis from various online sources, and saw one I wanted to try, especially since the big “Game Day” is approaching and I know people are always looking for new dishes to serve up at Super Bowl parties. The great thing about this recipe (by Pillsbury) is there are only five ingredients; well, really four… one is an optional garnish. The one thing I did differently from the original is heating up the dip. I tried it both cold and hot, and in my personal opinion, it’s much better when warmed. You can also add some shredded chicken, if desired.
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 4-5 oz. crumbled blue cheese
- 1 cup Yoplait® Greek 100 plain yogurt
- 3/4 cup Buffalo wing sauce
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions (optional)
- In large bowl, beat cream cheese and all but 2 tablespoons of the blue cheese with electric mixer on medium speed about 30 seconds or until combined.
- Add yogurt and wing sauce; beat 30 seconds longer.
- Transfer to serving bowl. Top with 2 tablespoons reserved blue cheese and green onions. Drizzle with additional wing sauce, if desired.
- For the heated version, follow steps 1 & 2, transfer to a greased casserole dish, and cook in a preheated 350° oven for approximately 35 minutes or until hot. Stir, then top with the reserved blue cheese and green onions.
- Serve with celery sticks, carrot sticks, cauliflower, broccoli, tortilla chips, or chicken strips.
Yields 16 servings
With summer quickly approaching, I’m doing my best to eat healthier without sacrificing flavor. I’ve been marinating chicken wings (yes, I’m baking them), and decided I wanted a blue cheese dip to accompany them this time, but know that packs a punch with fat and calories, so was on the hunt for a lighter recipe. I found quite a few using non-fat Greek yogurt, and went with the one I wanted to try, making a couple of modifications. I love that this is about half the calories of your traditional blue cheese dressing and the only fat comes from the blue cheese/gorgonzola. Blue cheese lovers rejoice!!!
- 2 tbsp. gorgonzola or blue cheese crumbles
- 1/4 cup non-fat Greek yogurt (I used Fage)
- Juice of 1/4 small lemon
- 1/2 tbsp. white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- Pinch garlic powder
- Pinch onion powder
- Drizzle of honey or agave
- Combine blue cheese, Greek yogurt, lemon juice, Worcestershire and vinegar in a bowl and mix well.
- Add all seasonings and a drizzle of agave or honey and stir well with a fork.
- Serve with chicken wings, your favorite salad, veggies, etc.
The thickness of the dressing will vary depending on the brand of Greek yogurt you use. If necessary, add water (one tablespoon at a time) and stir until dressing reaches desired consistency.
Here’s a healthier version of the traditional blue cheese dressing/dip to accompany my healthy chicken wings, or use in your salad.
- 1/3 cup light or fat-free small curd cottage cheese
- 1/2 tsp. white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp. fat-free/skim milk
- 1/8 tsp. white pepper
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. crumbled blue cheese
- Place cottage cheese, vinegar, milk, white pepper, garlic and half of the blue cheese in a blender or food processor.
- Cover and blend on low speed until smooth & creamy.
- Spoon into serving dish and stir in remaining blue cheese.
- Cover and refrigerate until serving.
You must be logged in to post a comment.