This is an easy and absolutely delicious cake to make for the holidays. The jello/gelatin makes it incredibly moist and flavorful! You can switch out the raspberry mix with strawberry or whatever flavor suits your fancy.
Original recipe courtesy of Betty Crocker
- 1 box Betty Crocker SuperMoist Vanilla cake mix (or white cake mix)
- Water, vegetable oil and eggs called for on cake mix box
- 1 box (4-serving size) raspberry-flavored gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 container Betty Crocker cream cheese frosting (or thawed whipped cream topping)
- Raspberries and/or blueberries (optional)
- Heat oven to 350F (or 325F for dark or nonstick pan).
- Spray bottom of pan with cooking spray; make and cool cake as directed on box for 13×9-inch pan
- Pierce cooled cake all over, but not all the way to the bottom, with fork (or use a skewer or handle of a wooden spoon).
- In a small bowl, stir gelatin and boiling water until smooth & dissolved; add in cold water.
- Pour liquid over cake carefully (I highly recommend using a turkey baster or spout measuring cup).
- Refrigerate 2-3 hours.
- Frost & garnish (if desired).
- Store covered in refrigerator.
Note: to make this even more festive for the 4th of July, Labor Day and/or Memorial Day, use berries to design an American flag on top of frosting RIGHT before serving (putting the raspberries or strawberries on way beforehand will result in the juice bleeding with the frosting).