I lived in the South (Georgia) for many years and loved so many things about it. One was the people/friends that I made, whom I found to be truly down-to-earth and caring folks. Second… some of their delicious “southern” dishes. Southern Potato Salad, to me, is THE best and is the only kind that I’ll have now. I realize that everyone has their favorite kind of potato salad, but from the rave reviews I received at work this week when I brought this dish in, I’d recommend giving it a try. This recipe serves 4, so if you need more, just double the ingredients.
- 4 potatoes (I recommend Yukon Gold for their creamy & buttery texture)
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 stalk celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup sweet relish
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp prepared mustard (yellow or Dijon)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (use regular, low-fat or fat-free)
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar (white vinegar can be substituted)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp minced onion (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add peeled potatoes & cook until tender but still firm, about 15-20 minutes; drain & chop into cubes.
- Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil; cover, remove from heat, and let eggs stand in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water; peel and chop.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, celery, sweet relish, garlic, mustard, mayo, vinegar, sugar and salt and pepper. Mix well, then add potatoes and toss gently. Chill for 2 hours before serving, sprinkle with paprika.
7 thoughts on “Southern Potato Salad”
If I had to choose one, potato salad or coleslaw, I’m choosing coleslaw everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. But if potato salad is prepared right, its hard to beat.
This is exactly like mine! And it did get me to a man’s heart and put an extra 100 lbs on him. LOL
It’s some good stuff! Good to know it worked for you… but unfortunate about the 100 lbs for him 😉 I will continue to keep cooking 🙂
Delicious! I made this recipe for the first time today (Christmas Eve). My husband and I gave it a taste before I refrigerated it, and it is wonderful!
Robin, I’m so happy you liked it! Hope you had a Merry Christmas!
This is the way my Mom makes it. Perfection!
That’s awesome! Thanks for your comment!