- 1 tbsp Butter
- 3/4 cup Buttermilk*
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Pinch Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Egg
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
* If you don’t have buttermilk, take 1 cup of milk and add 1 tbsp of vinegar or lemon juice to make sour milk, let stand 5 minutes.
- Melt butter in small pan, then set aside.
- Whisk 1/4 cup of buttermilk, cornstarch, salt & cayenne pepper in heavy, medium saucepan until smooth.
- Whisk in egg and remaining buttermilk.
- Set pan over medium-low heat and cook the sauce, whisking constantly until mixture comes to a simmer.
- Cook, whisking an additional 15 seconds.
- Remove from heat and whisk in lemon juice and reserved butter.
Note: I like to add 1 tbsp dijon mustard or honey dijon to add a little more flavor.
1 g fat / 17 cal / 1 g carb / 1 g protein per tbsp