When I lived in Atlanta, I used to frequent a restaurant called La Fonda, that served a lick-the-bowl-clean queso dip which honestly, is one of the main reasons I would go there. I’ve yet to find a restaurant here in LA that comes remotely close, so I decided to try to duplicate it at home. Since it’s been about ten years since I’ve had that incredible dip, it’s hard for me to compare, but I can tell you this one is truly yummy!
- 8 oz. White American cheese, cubed or broken into pieces (can be found behind the deli counter at most grocery stores)
- 2 tbsp. diced green chiles
- 1 pickled jalapeño, chopped
- 1 tbsp. pickled jalapeño juice
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Pinch of ground cumin, optional
- Toss all ingredients into a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for 4 minutes, stirring every minute. This will start out watery, but will form into a nice, runny dip. Be careful… the bowl will get hot.
- Serve immediately with chips.
Note: Microwave ovens vary, so this may take less or more than four minutes – mine took a little over three.
Tip: The dip will thicken as it cools, so if you want to maintain the thinner consistency, keep it warm in a small crock pot on low.