The 4th of July is quickly approaching (yay), and I am thinking of all of the wonderful traditional dishes associated with this holiday as my department at work is having a little potluck lunch to celebrate (my mouth is already salivating). Clearly, I have long list of possibilities of what I can bring, but one of my favorite sides comes to mind… baked beans. When I went to look for my recipe on here, I was shocked to find that I did not post it previously. My bad! So… here it is!
This recipe calls for bacon, but I believe it would be just as tasty if you choose to omit it.
- 8 strips of bacon, thick cut
- 2 (28 ounce) cans of Bush’s baked beans w/bacon
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 small Vidalia onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- Cook bacon in microwave, checking after each minute, so it’s still soft. Don’t let it get crisp.
- Cut into small, bite-size pieces, set aside.
- Put the remaining ingredients in a crock pot. *
- Add the bacon and mix.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours.
* This can also be prepared in the oven at 350 for 1 hour in a 3-quart baking dish.