Cherries and almonds are a classic pair and make a delicious salad combination with tart arugula and fragrant tarragon.
- 2 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 small shallot, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp water
- 6 tbsp slivered almonds, divided
- 1/2 pound cherries (about 2 cups), pitted and halved, divided
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
- 5 oz baby arugula
- 1 1/2 cups cooked whole grains (e.g. barley, farro, wheat berries, wild rice, or even quinoa)
- In a blender, combine vinegar, shallot, mustard, water, 3 tbsp of the almonds and 1/4 cup of the pitted cherries.
- Blend until very smooth, about 1 minute. Stir in tarragon.
- Combine arugula, cooked grains and remaining cherries in a large bowl.
- Toss with the dressing and garnish with the remaining 3 tbsp almonds.