This next recipe is one of my favorites that I created, Tortilla Pizza. One day, I was craving some pizza, but didn’t want to order one, so, as I usually have flour tortillas on hand, I decided I’d just throw some sauce and toppings on one and toss it in the oven. I had to play around with the temperature and timing to get it just the way I like (crispy), but now, it’s a staple in my kitchen. I love the fact that it’s obviously very low in carbs and can be made any way that you like, with very few or lots of toppings. It’s amazingly simple and a really nice, quick meal! The one pictured below is simply my pizza sauce, a few different cheeses, sliced tomatoes and caramalized onions (or onion marmalade).
- 1 flour tortilla (I use medium size)
- Pizza/pasta sauce to cover tortilla (use according to personal preference)
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese mix
- 1 Roma tomato, sliced thin
- Caramelized onions
- Parmesean cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Put tortilla on baking sheet.
- Spread sauce over tortilla, getting close to the sides.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese blend over sauce.
- Put tomato slices on top on top of cheese.
- Add caramelized onions, using as little or as much as you like.
- Sprinkle parmesean cheese over entire pizza.
- Bake about 20 minutes, a little longer for crispier crust.
As I mentioned, you can use whatever toppings that suit your fancy. Another favorite combination that I like is using pieces of goat cheese, some sundried tomatoes, fresh mint and fresh basil. Oh so good!