In my recent polenta post, I mentioned that I came across a BBQ chicken recipe from Rachael Ray which I intended on making soon, and decided to try it out last night. I made a few modifications like I normally do, and all I can say is… WOW! The sauce is truly delectable and really makes the dish. I took some to work today, and finished every single last bite! So if you like chicken, and want a delicious new way to make it, I highly suggest you try this recipe.
- 4 bone-in chicken thigh and leg or chicken breasts
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. poultry seasoning
- 2 tsp. grill seasoning
- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 thick cut slices pancetta or bacon, chopped (optional)
- 1 medium sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 to 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- Torn fresh basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Season the chicken liberally with salt and pepper, poultry seasoning, and grill seasoning.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium skillet and brown the chicken a few minutes on each side to put some of its flavor and drippings into the pan, then transfer to oven and roast 10 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, if using pancetta or bacon, add to pan, and cook until crisp. Remove from pan, crumble and set aside.
- If not using the meat, put one more tablespoon olive oil into pan, and add onions, garlic and rosemary. Cook 5 minutes, then add the vinegar, sugar, Worcestershire, tomato sauce and 1/2 cup chicken stock or broth.
- Reduce heat to low and let sauce simmer 5 minutes more.
- Remove chicken from oven, place in barbecue sauce, add bacon or pancetta (if using) and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Fill shallow bowls with polenta, top with chicken, spoon extra sauce over chicken and garnish with some torn basil leaves.
You must be logged in to post a comment.