I tried this recipe over the summer after receiving an email from Whole Foods that they were having a “scallops” sale, and although I haven’t tasted a lot of scallop dishes, I think this one is pretty darn good. The combination of sweet honey, salty tamari, tangy rice vinegar and hot red pepper flakes make a delicious glaze for the scallops. I recommend using a robust honey like eucalyptus or avocado to balance the strongly flavored tamari. Serve with brown rice.
- 1 1/2 tbsp tamari
- 1 1/2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 lb large sea scallops (tough muscles removed from the side of each)
- 1-2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- In a small bowl, whisk together tamari, honey, mustard, vinegar and red pepper flakes; set aside.
- Pat scallops dry with paper towels, then heat 1 tbsp oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook scallops in a single layer, flipping once, until golden brown & just cooked through, about 2 minutes per side. (Work in batches, if necessary, adding the remaining 1 tbsp oil when needed.)
- Transfer scallops to a large plate as done.
- Reduce heat to low and allow skillet to cool off a bit, then carefully add tamari-honey mixture to skillet & simmer briefly until reduced to a glaze.
- Return scallops to skillet and toss well to coat.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.
Source: Whole Foods
You must be logged in to post a comment.