With the holidays quickly approaching, visions of dinner menus have been dancing in my head. One of my staples is a sweet potato casserole which always receives rave reviews, and I just realized I haven’t posted it. I took the traditional marshmallow-topped dish, and took it to a new level (in my humble opinion). I also decided to use canned sweet potatoes instead of fresh strictly to save on time.
- 2 (29 oz.) cans sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 2 tbsp. orange juice (if you’re not an OJ fan, you can use skim milk)
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. kosher salt
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 3 tbsp. flour
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 cup candied pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, mix sweet potatoes, 1/4 cup butter, egg, white sugar, oj, marshmallows, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Transfer to a lightly greased 9″x13″ baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine topping ingredients and mix well (using your hands) to a consistency of course meal. Sprinkle over sweet potato mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until topping is crisp and lightly browned.