I saw a commercial a few days ago for Pillsbury Grands Biscuits and this recipe, and knew I had to try it since Sloppy Joes were a staple when I was growing up (thanks Mom!). I still love them, but nowadays, I make them from scratch… most of the time. If I’m pinched for time, or simply being lazy (it happens), then I turn to my trusted Manwich Sloppy Joe sauce. With that being said, this old-school recipe taken to a new level, uses the canned sauce so it can prepared in a flash, which makes it perfect for a weeknight or when time is of the essence.
Make sure to scroll to the bottom for an additional way to make these 🙂
- 1 lb. lean ground beef, cooked, drained
- 1 can (15 oz) Manwich sloppy joe sauce
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 can (16.3 oz) Pillsbury® Grands!® refrigerated biscuits
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (2 oz)
- Heat oven to 375° F.
- In large skillet, cook ground beef over medium-high heat until beef is thoroughly cooked, stirring frequently; drain.
- Stir in sauce and chili powder; simmer 5 minutes.
- Cut biscuit in half and press bottom into 6-inch round.
- Spoon 1/3 cup meat mixture and about 1 tbsp. cheese onto center of each round.
- Take top half of biscuit and press it out so it’s approximately the same size as the bottom, and place over filling; press sides to seal. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 9 to 14 minutes or until golden brown.
* If you want it saucier, use only 3/4 lb. beef. To add a little heat, if you so desire, add a skosh of cayenne pepper to the sauce. Also, feel free to add a bit of onion and/or garlic powder while cooking the beef.
Another idea, which I think is really cute & just came up with, is making this a muffin. Simply cut the biscuit in half, spread the dough out enough so when you put it in the muffin tin, the sides go up to the top, then fill with sloppy joe and top with some cheese.
If you have any leftover Sloppy Joe, put it into muffin cups, stick the pan in the freezer until frozen, remove from pan, place into a ziplock bag & return to freezer. Each frozen sloppy joe “muffin” should be equivalent to a single serving when defrosted and reheated.