This SWEET and tangy condiment is perfect for grilled meats, burgers, sandwiches, pizza or on a crostini as an appetizer.
- 2 red (or white) onions
- 3/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- Halve onions lengthwise and cut into thin slices.
- Add vinegar and sugar to a saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to a simmer and add the onions.
- Cook, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat and continue cooking for 20 minutes, or until the onions are shiny and caramelized.